Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Putting on the Brakes

As summer comes to a close, I reflect on my days of subatical--I have enjoyed the following (I won't bore you, so I will keep it to the number six which is my favorite)

  • new pets for the kids--thanks to the Johnsons for the baby frogs--we just saw them today at the mall in little "homes" and I thought wow--there could have been money made in Happy, TX for our friends/family this summer! Thanks also to our friends for the kittens more than once.
  • My kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Each of them have made special memories for me. Bailey--wow, at 64 inches, she sure is maturing. She has been great this summer--learning to do her own laundry, working cattle with my dad, growing closer to her mom. Teagen has worked to read to his persistent mom. He has made some awesome presents for his family lately with his talent and big heart. We continue the stories before bed which helps each of the boys feel special as we reflect their day. Kyton has grown and has really enjoyed the pets. That is why that is something I have enjoyed. It brings out a fun side in him.
  • REading--I have read Jodi Picoult, Hawthorne, and now the second book of the Twilight series, My Bible, devotions by Joyce Myer, A book about Nurturing for women
  • projects--cleaning out and cleaning up my house--I love throwing things that we don't need away, but another project is recycling. Baby blankets for others and Baby Blessing, trying to be smart about spending AND going on vacation--eating at home WAY more
  • Being outside--Since we planted our trees, I have loved keeping up with the yard. I have had a small garden and flower bed out of our old sand tractor tire rim, and then after talking to friends, I added flowers by the front porch and then Clint added scrubs in front of the garage and then I planted the remainder by the driveway. One more project is to add flowers (already purchased) around the flag pole--just dug up grass tonight in the dark)
  • Living a healthier life--exercise, 80 ounces of water a day, less food!!

The hardest part is that after working at home Monday a bit and going swimming, we have had a doctor's appointment, hair appointment, school shopping for Bailey and then getting more kitties (THANK YOU FRIENDS!!) yesterday and then up to go this morning with the boys for school shopping. I am beat. I feel that gnawing feeling that I will let my life live me, not me live my life. I really do not want that to happen.

I have enjoyed getting to spend time at home. There really is not routine, but I have really enjoyed working on making meals and that takes time and planning. I don't want school routine to ruin that. I want to hold onto the time I have with the kids before bed. I will try to get them in bed earlier so that we can still have that.

My goal--less projects. My kids and Clint are my projects.

I hope to share pictures of what the kids have done in July and August. We had a great trip. We have had fun with other things as well.

Scripture memory has been a blessing to me as I have helped my kids this summer.

REally--"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path..." Psalm 119:105 "Cast your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

BIG NOTE--I love my husband and am thrilled that I am able to be less stressed with work. He deserves that. We have had a great time. He is special to me each and every day. He is such a part of what is going on too, I just don't mention him as much. 18 years Monday!!

4 comments:

Mee Maw said...

You have had a great summer and I am glad that you have enjoyed your family and home. You will manage as you begin another school year to make time for your family. Enjoy your last days!!!!

MJH said...

I'm so proud of you and your sweet spirit! I know you can balance all the "great" things God has provided for you.I put this scripture from The Message on my computer at school.

1 Corinthians 7:29
I do want to point out, friends, that time is of the essence. There is no time to waste, so don't complicate your lives unnecessarily. Keep it simple —in marriage, grief, joy, whatever. Even in ordinary things—your daily routines of shopping, and so on. Deal as sparingly as possible with the things the world thrusts on you. This world as you see it is on its way out.
I love you Christy.

M'Lynn said...

Thanks for your sweet comment! I love your thought about living your life and not letting your life live you...cool! I will be praying for you and your fam as you head back to school!

Janda Bressler said...

Sounds like a good summer for ya'll. Glad you got to spend alot of time with your kids! You are a great mom and wife! Hope the school year doesn't get too crazy for ya and you get to enjoy life. Thanks for sharing about your summer.